by Debbie Alford
Packing the kids in the car and driving off to see the countryside can be a wonderful experience or a nightmare and it all depends on the preparation that you do beforehand.
Kids love to go places and explore new things. They are excited at the idea. Do you remember how it used to feel? Your breath would come faster and you’d feel tingles up and down your spine as you piled into the car. The problem is that excitement and impatience work in inverse proportion. The more excited you were the less patient you became. Your kids are no different.
It doesn’t matter whether you are driving or flying, the best thing to do is to keep your children amused and comfortable on the way.
Here are some great tips that will make your next family outing more pleasant.
1. Make a simple map and mark on it some of the things you will see along the way. It gives your children something to watch out for and lets them track their progress.
2. Scour the internet and your memory for some games that you can play along the way. You can only play “I Spy” for so long!
3. Take a stash of little travel games and puzzles. If the only time your children are allowed to play with these it makes them seem very special and adds a novelty value.
4. Pack a picnic lunch and stop somewhere along the way so they can use up their energy with some running and play.
5. Keep a snack pack with you as you travel. A drink, a piece of fruit or even a lolly will distract them for a while.
6. Go high tech. Some cars have built in DVD players so your kids can watch a movie on the way. You can also buy portable DVD players or download movies onto your smartphones.
7. If your child is really young, make sure he or she has their favourite toy or cuddly to snuggle up to. They are more likely to settle in and even sleep part of the way.
8. Take your child’s favourite CD’s and have a sing-along.
9. Buy a backseat desk. It’s a plastic desk that attaches to the headrest in front and when opened, can be used to rest colouring books and pencils. Some come with built in activities.
10. Camera’s are cheap now. Let your kids take photos of interesting things along the way. You can try disposable cameras or even play ones if they are too young for the real thing.
With all these ideas up your sleeve, travel will be fun.
If there is anything I can do for you around the home while you are away, call me!
Asking for help Australia birthday parties birthday party booking flights Buy groceries Christmas gift ideas concierge services Debbie Alford decluttering gift certificates hear from your personal concierge help around the home help for new mums help for professional couples help for the single girl help for the single guy helping hand holiday tips Home Tips house key minding internet research just arrived in Melbourne lessen your stress Lifestyle management Melbourne more organised moving house moving to Melbourne new in Melbourne party organising party organizer party planning Personal Assistant Personal Concierge personal concierge melbourne Personal Concierge Services rubbish removal Send out invitations staff recognition taking care of your to-do list to do list travel clothes travel planner unpacking
Taking Time off to Wait for Tradies?
How much time off work have you taken to stay at home waiting for a tradesman to arrive? We can do that for you and clean out a few cupboards or fold some washing while we are waiting.
Running out of Time to Buy that Present?
I know a science professor who has commented that in the past, if her young son was invited to a birthday party, the present had to be bought from Safeway or 7eleven or it just didn't happen.
Want to Have a Party But it’s all Too Hard?
Is it really that time of year already? My, how the year goes past so quickly. Party time! You may find you are running out of time, so many bits and pieces to source -Delegate the job to us, not a problem.
Going on Holiday and Need House Key Minding?
So you are off on a holiday, wonderful! Whilst you are away, we will collect your mail, feed the dog/cat, take your dog for a walk and if need be, pay some bills for you. We can even stock the fridge with some essentials for your return.