Whenever I see those shows on TV where people win a fortune and plan to spend it all on their wedding, I wonder if they are crazy. I know that we all want the perfect wedding and reception, but does it have to cost us the money we could otherwise use as a home deposit?
I read somewhere recently that the average cost of a wedding is $25,000. How many couples do you know that would have that sort of money lying around? It’s no wonder so many put off the wedding and just move in together.
If you don’t want to go broke over your wedding day, here are a few ways that you can cut back on your expenses.
1. Ask each other what is most important to you when you think of your wedding day. Work out a list of priorities. You might be surprised to find that budget breakers like fancy reception venues aren’t seen as important by either of you! Cut back on what you don’t value.
2. Involve your friends and family. You never know who has a contact somewhere – a cake decorator, a dressmaker or a florist.
3. Choose a simple theme for your wedding. Use flowers that are in season and take the wedding outdoors if the weather is good. Picnic weddings can be elegant and relaxed.
4. Save on your decorations. Fairy lights and gauzy material strung around the roof and tables will give your reception a magical feel for little cost and both can be used again later.
5. Skip the wedding presents and ask your guests to pay for their meal instead. After all, you can only have so many toasters. This is becoming more common these days and it saves your guests the worry of what to buy.
6. Hire your dress instead of buying it. You won’t ever wear it again and it will just hang in the cupboard going yellow with age.
7. Remember that ‘less is more’ and don’t try to do too much. You don’t need flowers on every table or fancy chair covers. You don’t need a band. You don’t need a big cake.
8. Ask your friends to take the photos and videos of the event. It saves hundreds on photography fees and will give you lots of photos to choose from for your album.
It isn’t the ‘things’ that will make your wedding day perfect, it’s the people. Remember what is important and enjoy your day. You’ll save money and stress and start your married life off in the company of people you love.
If you are planning a wedding and need a hand, contact me, I’d be thrilled to help you. After all, everyone loves a wedding!
Asking for help Australia birthday parties birthday party booking flights Buy groceries Christmas gift ideas concierge services Debbie Alford decluttering gift certificates hear from your personal concierge help around the home help for new mums help for professional couples help for the single girl help for the single guy helping hand holiday tips Home Tips house key minding internet research just arrived in Melbourne lessen your stress Lifestyle management Melbourne more organised moving house moving to Melbourne new in Melbourne party organising party organizer party planning Personal Assistant Personal Concierge personal concierge melbourne Personal Concierge Services rubbish removal Send out invitations staff recognition taking care of your to-do list to do list travel clothes travel planner unpacking
Taking Time off to Wait for Tradies?
How much time off work have you taken to stay at home waiting for a tradesman to arrive? We can do that for you and clean out a few cupboards or fold some washing while we are waiting.
Running out of Time to Buy that Present?
I know a science professor who has commented that in the past, if her young son was invited to a birthday party, the present had to be bought from Safeway or 7eleven or it just didn't happen.
Want to Have a Party But it’s all Too Hard?
Is it really that time of year already? My, how the year goes past so quickly. Party time! You may find you are running out of time, so many bits and pieces to source -Delegate the job to us, not a problem.
Going on Holiday and Need House Key Minding?
So you are off on a holiday, wonderful! Whilst you are away, we will collect your mail, feed the dog/cat, take your dog for a walk and if need be, pay some bills for you. We can even stock the fridge with some essentials for your return.